A man from Moultonborough in New Hampshire had to be transported to the hospital this afternoon after his pet squirrel got stuck in his anal cavity.
60-year Ray Frankfurt called 911 himself around 3 pm after he found himself in a pretty uncomfortable position.
Janice Monroe, the operator who took the call, says she thought it as a joke when he explained the situation.
“He told me that he’d fallen on his pet squirrel named Slimy and that the animal was now stuck in his anus. I was convinced that it was a teenager making a prank call.”
Despite Ms. Monroe’s doubts, she sent an ambulance to the site and the paramedics rapidly realized that the situation was in fact very serious.
Frank Meyers, one of the paramedics who transported Mr. Frankfurt, claims the poor man was lying naked in his bathroom and a hairy red tail was protruding from his anus.
“He kept screaming out in pain as the animal was biting and scratching him. The guy looked like he was going through hell!”
Ray Frankfurt was transported to the Huggings Hospital in Wolfeboro, where doctors were able to extract the rodent.
The retired mailman suffered from severe internal bleeding but was finally stabilized after a two-hour surgery.
The squirrel, unfortunately, didn’t survive his misadventure.
Mr. Frankfurt’s problem might seem fairly unusual, but similar incidents occur a lot more frequently than most people would think.
Every year, an average of 5739 Americans are hospitalized after getting foreign objects stuck in their anal cavity.
Among these “foreign objects”, an average of 19 are animals, including mostly fishes, snakes and small rodents like mice or rats.
According to data collected by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Mr. Frankfurt is the first American to get a squirrel stuck in his rear end since 2007.
He has refused to comment the incident and declined all demands for an interview.