Doctors Confirm First Human Death Officially Caused by GMOs

Madrid | Doctors of the Carlos III hospital confirmed this morning in a press conference, the first case of human death caused by the ingestion of genetically modified food. Juan Pedro Ramos died from anaphylaxis after eating some recently developed tomatoes containing fish genes, which provoked a violent and lethal allergic reaction.

This surprising announcement comes after the autopsy of the 31-year old Spanish man who died at the Madrid hospital at the beginning of January.

The young man’s health rapidly deteriorated after he suffered an unexplained allergic reaction, and all the drugs used to refrain the anaphylaxis were entirely inefficient.

The team of experts claims to have been able to determine that the genetically modified tomatoes that the victim ingested at lunch were the cause of the allergic reaction that caused his death.

Mr. Ramos was working as a clerk in a Madrid warehouse on January 7, when he started feeling ill just after lunch.

A number of symptoms started to manifest themselves, including a violent itchy rash, some serious swelling of the throat and a drastic drop in blood pressure.

The man, who was known to have allergies, quickly injected himself some epinephrine, but his health condition continued to deteriorate.

The young man was rapidly carried to the hospital by co-workers, but the medical staff was unable to identify the cause of his allergic reaction in time and none of the usual treatments or drugs seemed to work. Mr. Ramos was confirmed dead just over an hour after arriving at the hospital.

The 31-year old man appeared healthy when he visited his family for the holidays.

The young man appeared happy and healthy when this picture was taken by his roommate, less than 24 hours before he died.

The medical examiners and forensic experts at the Carlos III hospital had to execute a lot of tests and analysis before they could precisely determine what caused Mr. Ramos to die of an allergic reaction to seafood since all he had eaten before his death was a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with a diet cola.

They were astonished when they discovered that the tomato he had ingested, not only contained some fish-related allergens, but also some antibiotic resistant genes which had prevented Mr. Ramos’ white blood cell from saving his life.

“At first we thought that there had been some form of contamination of his food, from contact with fish or seafood during the preparation” explained Dr. Rafael Pérez-Santamarina.

“It was only when we tested the tomato itself that we noticed that it contained some allergens usually found in seafood. We did many different analysis and they all confirmed that the tomato was indeed the source of the allergens that killed Mr. Ramos.” 

Many experiments on GMOs had produced some horrible tumors and event death in rats and other lab animals, but Mr. Ramos the first known human death to have occured.

Many experiments on GMOs had produced some horrible tumors and event death in rats and other lab animals, but most genetically modified products on the market were considered to be harmless to humans.

The case of Mr. Ramos is the first human death officially confirmed to be linked to the ingestion of genetically modified food. It contradicts most studies on GMOs which had concluded that genetically engineered crops currently on the market were completely safe to eat.

A team led by University of Nebraska scientists had anticipated this kind of problem in 1996 when they found that a Brazil nut protein introduced to improve the nutritional quality of genetically modified soybeans was able to provoke an allergic reaction in people with Brazil nut allergies.

However, this kind of problem was dismissed by most scientists as very improbable, since it could easily be avoided with proper safety testing.

The soybean injected with the Brazil nut gene was indeed abandoned during development, but it seems that the genetically modified tomato that caused Mr. Ramos’ death had not been submitted to sufficient testing and the lethal risk had not been identified before it was marketed.

The Spanish Ministry of Health, Social Services, and Equality ordered for the tomatoes of Portuguese origin which infected the young man, to be recalled and removed from stores and markets for safety reasons.

More than 7,000 tons of tomatoes will, therefore, be ceased across the country by ministry inspectors and public safety officials.

The ministry also issued a public statement about the death of Mr. Ramos in which it sends its condolences to his family and adds that it will “immediately demand further research on the subject to determine if other genetically modified food products on the European market could represent a risk for the Spanish population”.

8 Comments on "Doctors Confirm First Human Death Officially Caused by GMOs"

  1. Governments around the world and the residents of those countries need to stand up and use their senses. We need stop doing what we know nothing about! That means genetically modififing the food we eat. Maybe its amusing or interesting but when you don’t know how it’ll effect our world in the future then you have no business changing anything!


    • Robert Wager | March 3, 2015 at 4:43 pm |

      You mean like Teosinte instead of maize, toxic tomatoes and toxic potatoes? Virtually everything we eat today has had its DNA altered by humans. We call it agriculture.

  3. Why does anyone need to interfere with natural food? We don’t need everything to be engineered and tampered with. Think I’ll make my own garden and eat natural food like god intended.

  4. I think it is even more shocking, and maybe contributing to his death, that Mr Ramos only had one white blood cell.

  5. The developers of these products have always known about the risks of triggering multiple allergies with their hidden gene modifications! It was only a matter of time before someone died AND doctors took the time to confirm the GMO caused it!!!

    It may be the 1st confirmed case but I seriously doubt it was the 1st human death caused by GMOs.

    • The human body lacks the enzymes and metabolic pathways to break down a man made molecule. GMOs can never be made to be safe as they would never occur naturally. GMOs mix genetic materials from organisms in different Kingdoms. Remember the Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species classification we learned in school? Well The animal kingdom would never be able to trade genes in its DNA with the insect or bacteria Kingdom. Those kind of mixtures are what GMOs are doing and will never be able to made safe.

    • Mina Semyon | April 10, 2016 at 12:03 pm |

      So what is going to be done about it besides taking the tomatoes off the market. Any sensible human being could tell that GMO food will cause health problems and in some cases even death. What is going to be done about it?

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.