Doctors Confirm First Human Death Officially Caused by GMOs

hospital

Madrid| Doctors of the Carlos III hospital confirmed this morning in a press conference, the first case of human death caused by the ingestion of genetically modified food. Juan Pedro Ramos died from anaphylaxis after eating some recently developed tomatoes containing fish genes, which provoked a violent and lethal allergic reaction. 

This surprising announcement comes after the autopsy of the 31-year old Spanish man who died  at the Madrid hospital in the beginning of January. The young man’s health rapidly deteriorated after he suffered an unexplained allergic reaction, and all the drugs used to refrain the anaphylaxis were entirely inefficient. The team of experts claims to have been able to determine that the genetically modified tomatoes that the victim ingested at lunch were the cause of the allergic reaction that caused his death.

Mr. Ramos was working as a clerk in a Madrid warehouse on January 7, when he started feeling ill just after lunch. A number of symptoms started to manifest themselves, including a violent itchy rash, some serious swelling of the throat and a drastic drop in blood pressure. The man, who was known to have allergies, quickly injected himself some epinephrine, but his health condition continued to deteriorate.

The young man was rapidly carried to the hospital by co-workers, but the medical staff was unable to identify the cause of his allergic reaction in time and none of the usual treatments or drugs seemed to work. Mr. Ramos was confirmed dead just over an hour after arriving at the hospital.

The 31-year old man appeared healthy when he visited his family for the holidays.

The young man appeared happy and healthy when this picture was taken by his roomate, less than 24 hours before he died.

The medical examiners and forensic experts at the Carlos III hospital had to execute a lot of tests and analysis before they could precisely determine what caused Mr. Ramos to die of an allergic reaction to seafood,  since all he had eaten before his death was a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich with a diet cola. They were astonished when they discovered that the tomato he had ingested, not only contained some fish-related allergens, but also some antibiotic resistant genes which had prevented Mr. Ramos’ white blood cell from saving his life.

“At first we thought that there had been some form of contamination of his food, from contact with fish or seafood during the preparation” explained Dr. Rafael Pérez-Santamarina. “It was only when we tested the tomato itself that we noticed that it contained some allergens usually found in seafood. We did many different analysis and they all confirmed that the tomato was indeed the source of the allergens that killed Mr. Ramos.” 

Many experiments on GMOs had produced some horrible tumors and event death in rats and other lab animals, but Mr. Ramos the first known human death to have occured.

Many experiments on GMOs had produced some horrible tumors and event death in rats and other lab animals, but most genetically modified products on the market were considered to be harmless to humans.

The case of Mr. Ramos is the first human death officially confirmed to be linked to the ingestion of genetically modified food. It contradicts most studies on GMOs which had concluded that genetically engineered crops currently on the market were completely safe to eat.

A team led by University of Nebraska scientists had anticipated this kind of problem in 1996, when they found that a Brazil nut protein introduced to improve the nutritional quality of genetically modified soybeans was able to provoke an allergic reaction in people with Brazil nut allergies. However, this kind of problem was dismissed by most scientists as very improbable, since it could easily be avoided with proper safety testing. The soybean injected with the Brazil nut gene was indeed abandoned during development, but it seems that the genetically modified tomato that caused Mr. Ramos’ death had not been submitted to sufficient testing and the lethal risk had not been identified before it was marketed.

The Spanish ministry of Health, Social Services and Equality ordered for the tomatoes of Portugese origin which infected the young man, to be recalled and removed from stores and markets for safety reasons. More than 7000 tons of tomatoes will therefore be ceased across the country by ministry inspectors and public safety officials.

The ministry also issued a public statement about the death of Mr Ramos in which it sends its condolences to his family and adds that it will “immediately demand further research on the subject to determine if other genetically modified food products on the European market could represent a risk for the Spanish population”.

 

21 Comments on "Doctors Confirm First Human Death Officially Caused by GMOs"

  1. Very sad.

    • II is not easy to the the place of God the creator and act like you can do a better job of evolution. What pride!!!
      Scientists who explore the workings of the Creator need a little humility in exploration of finding answers to things.
      Those who research need to study the effects of things and not project their findings on the public if the findings are fatly or harmful.

    • II is not easy to take the place of God the creator and act like you can do a better job of evolution. What pride!!!
      Scientists who explore the workings of the Creator need a little humility in exploration of finding answers to things.
      Those who research need to study the effects of things and not project their findings on the public if the findings are faultly or harmful.

    • yes you should not mess with nature if you are not sure of the results

    • This is the main reason food ingredients on labels are so important. Had mr. Ramos known the tomatoes were GMO tomatoes, he could have chosen to NOT EAT them and still be alive.

    • Occam's Razor | October 23, 2015 at 1:04 am |

      Just say NO to gmo!

    • I pray to god for the family of our brother Mr.Ramos. Though genetic engineering is very useul to humankind, due to this type of sad incidents people develop hate about genetic engineering.To avoid this,foods are tested well before marketing

  2. Wow soooo sad!!
    It makes no sense to mess with mother nature.

    • i see ur government is trying to kill you as well
      united states is very bad the food is terrible
      and its all gmo monsantos is the main company

    • Ken, I guess you are missing all of the controversy about GMOs not being required to be on labels. Big Ag has put many millions into it and in the US they have won. I hope you don’t like tomatoes.

  3. It makes perfect sense, are you not glad we have modern medicine and healthcare?

    • modern medicine and healthcare couldn’t save him from GMOs

    • Modern medicine and healthcare is business that made illness profitable. And thats why we have CocaCoa, Cigaretes, Industrial food, drugs all kind that have nus effects, propagation of bad habit…..

    • I hope that was some sort of sarcasm. Science makes our food sick so we make the medical profession very rich. Sick food, sick people = corporate profit.

  4. Dolores Claesson | March 1, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Reply

    . They were astonished when they discovered that the tomato he had ingested, not only contained some fish-related allergens, but also some antibiotic resistant genes which had prevented Mr. Ramos’ white blood cell from saving his life.

    This is the troubling sentence….antibiotic resistant genes.

    • As has always been the case with genetically altered foods. The genes implanted artificially in the good stuffs has the unforeseen effect of attacking the immune system, preferring “good” germs in your body, but also attacking the “bad” germs

    • Michael Gary | November 18, 2015 at 1:16 pm |

      Round-Up is the pesticide used in GMO crops. It is originally patented as an anti-biotic, not a weed killer. The Round-Up residues on the tomatoes causes many kinds of intestinal problems.

    • You might as well call it corporate homocide.

  5. Very sad for this poor guy and his family.
    Why are we surprised though? It is already known that GM wheat can cause Ulcerative Colitis, and statistics for that are exploding. Time we brought companies like Monsanto, who only care for their profits, to book.
    And as for the comment from Ebuli…it is not a medical product, and science is still very poor on this subject. This is for profit!

    • well said chicago il

    • Michael Gary | November 18, 2015 at 1:20 pm |

      Wheat is sprayed with Round-Up 3 or 4 times in the growing season, including 3 days before harvest to act as a dissacant to dry all the wheat at the same time for uniform harvest moisture content.
      Gluten is not causing intestinal problems.
      Round-Up, patented originally as an anti-biotic, is the likely cause of most chronic intestinal diseases.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*