Denmark: 8-year Old Prodigy Speaks 32 Languages

danish

Skagen| Ankjær Nørgaard, an 8-year old boy from northern Denmark, is certainly one of the world’s most gifted kids when it comes to mastering different languages. Already fluent in more than 31 different tongues and dialects, the young prodigy has become youngest human being ever recorded to have learned 32, by adding the Mandarin (or Standard chinese) language to his pedigree last week, in only three days.

The list of languages he has already learned is absolutely amazing, counting many idioms reputated as excessively complicated. It includes Afrikaaner, Arab, Bengali, Danish, Dutch, English, Flemish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malaysian, Mandarin, Maori, Polish, Portugese, Punjabi, Quechua, Russian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Urdu, Vietnamese, Yiddish and Zulu.

“I can’t really explain it, it comes to me really easily” he candidly tells our reporter. “Arab took me two weeks, Swahili was more complicated, it took me seven… I guess I grasp things rapidly when it comes to languages. You know, there isn’t as many differences between different tongues as people seem to think. Once you know a dozen, the others come quickly and easily.”

The amazing young boy has recently been offered a scholarship from the Københavns Universitet (University of Copenhagen) to pursue a degree in linguistics, but his parents, who are both psychologists, are worried that sending him to university at such a young age could disturb his normal socialization process.

“We know our son has a gift” explains Frida Møller, Ankjær’s mother, “but we want him to have a life that’s as normal as possible. We don’t want him to become some sort of circus freak, and we don’t want some ruthless people to exploit him for their own selfish purposes. For now, we would like to keep him at home, where we feel he is safer, and where is gift can fully flourish. Maybe we’ll change our mind in a few years, we’ll see.”

22 Comments on "Denmark: 8-year Old Prodigy Speaks 32 Languages"

1. Emmanueli gabrieli | May 6, 2014 at 8:37 am | Reply

God have a reason to him…

2. P1000111011 | May 6, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Reply

You are correct Daniel, only God exists.

3. rizwan mirza | May 8, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Reply

very talent

4. Not quite fluent yet 😉

“there AREn’t as many differences between…”

• Elise Krentzel | May 9, 2014 at 4:06 pm |

Do you think your critical correction of tense makes you a hero? Do you not know how to applaud other’s achievements? I guess not, you’re too busy pointing a finger.

• Elise, it’s not a correction of tense, it’s concordance/subject-verb agreement. And he was obviously just joking on a linguistic level. Therefore, either step up your game or chill out.

• Do you think your defensiveness makes you a viilante? Do you not know how to take a joke? I guess not, you’re too busy being serious.

• *vigilante. LOL

• Elise, I think you mean the possessive, “others’ achievements”. Anyway, do you think your surname gives you the power to KRENTZEL other people into the dirt?

• The Truth | May 25, 2014 at 9:13 am |

Good point.

5. Michael Taylor | May 9, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Reply

I’ve heard these stories before … These ‘linguists’ can say,like, “Hello,Thank You, and Goodbye” This is what I would like to know. Just how ‘fluent’ is this little boy in all of those languages? Can he watch TV and understand it?

• I think he can call people c*nts in all of these languages. This is the bare minimum for fluency in my book.